How to activate SPID
If you are 18 years old you can activate SPID, having a valid Italian identification document.
• an Italian identification document
• social security card (Tessera Sanitaria) or tax code (Codice Fiscale)
• an email address and a mobile number
Access the site of one of the digital identity providers authorized and supervised by AgID.
To proceed with activation
• carry out the recognition
• in person
• via webcam
• audio-video by bank transfer
• CIE (Carta d'Identità Elettronica), CNS (Carta Nazionale dei Servizi) or digital signature
The difference between security levels
• level 1
• level 2
• level 3
Before activating SPID, make sure you have:
- a valid Italian document (Identity Card, driving license, passport);
- your social security card (Tessera Sanitaria) or tax code (Codice Fiscale), or the attribution certificate of one of the two;
- your email and mobile number.
Choose your digital identity provider.
To proceed with the activation, identify one of the authorized identity providers and register on the website of the provider you have chosen, following the indicated steps:
- enter your personal data;
- create your SPID credentials;
- carry out the recognition, choosing between the free or paid methods offered by identity providers, to be aware of before proceeding with the activation. *
Alternatively, you can go to one of the public administrations that can carry out the procedure of identification free of charge and allow the subsequent release of SPID.
The timing of issuing of the digital identity depends on the individual provider. Once obtained, the use of SPID for citizens is free of charge.
Are you an Italian abroad?
If you live abroad, you are an Italian citizen enrolled in AIRE, select an online recognition method marked with the EU or world symbol.
Are you a foreign citizen abroad?
If you are a foreign citizen in Italy, remember that it is not possible to request SPID using your residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno), but with it you can obtain the identity card (Carta d’Identita) that you will need to request SPID.